Followers

Thursday, August 16, 2012

How do historians work?

Well, before taking this course and reading all the texts I had this vision of what a historian was.  I envisioned this person reciting fact after fact and talking way above us common folks. In other words, I had no idea of what he or she was talking about.  I now realize that they take a moment in history and analyze every aspect trying to answer the questions how and why.  There are so many historians out there.  They all could take one topic in history and analyze differently.  It's neat to see so many perspectives on one topic.  For example, take a look at The American Revolution picturebook and The American Revolution book by Wood.  Same information, but totally different viewpoints, different style of writing, and different target audience. 

2 comments:

  1. I had the exact same ideas about historians as you did. I think my eyes were opened when we toured the archives...SOOO many documents to analyze and study. It takes a very dedicated and patient person to do their job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Historians remind me a lot of our students....just like historians have different takes on history, our students tend to have a different take on their learning/learning style. :-)

    ReplyDelete